Ads 468x60px

Friday, December 23, 2011

UEFA news 12bet update 12/23


Bayern Munich striker Mario Gomez: I am entering the best years of my career

The 26-year-old forward feels he has matured as a player and has set his sights on featuring for Germany at Euro 2012, having already found the target 24 times this season


Bayern Munich striker Mario Gomez has stated that his times of uncertainty are now behind him and that he now is in his prime as a footballer.

In previous years, the Germany international had spells of brilliance interrupted by lengthy droughts without goals. However, at 26-years-old, he feels he is now more composed than ever before.

"I am now at an age when the best years of my career begin - or have already begun," he told Kicker. "At 26, you're in your prime as a striker. And in the mid-20s you're more mature, you have experience in game-deciding situations, you stay relaxed."

The former Stuttgart man enjoyed the most prolific season of his career in 2010-11, scoring 39 goals in all competitions. In the current campaign he has already hit the target 24 times and feels he has put his demons behind him.

Speaking of his own self-doubt, he said: "[I am] proud that I have been able to convince the man from whom I have had the greatest resistance in my career." 

Gomez is now looking forward to making an impact on the international level for Germany at Euro 2012. However, he will calmly accept Joachim Low's decision even if the trainer opts to use Miroslav Klose ahead of him.

"I'll do anything to get a place in the national team. If I maintain my performance level up until the Euro and the coach decides against me, then it wasn't meant to be."

Over the last five seasons, only Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo have scored more goals in all competitions than Gomez.



0 comments:

Post a Comment